Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Special Moments

I have a very special Aunt and Uncle that mean the world to me. They have introduced me to many things throughout our travels together, one of those things being baseball! The first game they took me to was during the week of their wedding 15 or so years ago.

Uncle Hil and I have always talked about the moment of "AWWW" when you walk into a ballpark for the first time. There's just something about walking into a huge stadium and hearing the sounds, smelling the grass and the hot dogs, seeing the players that you always see on tv, finding the best seats, and realizing that you are about to watch something that can take your breath away. We love to take someone with us that has never been before just to get to see that moment "AWWW". I remember the first time that we took Brad to Turner Field in Atlanta and getting to see his face. There is also nothing like stepping onto the corner of Addison and Clark in Chicago and seeing the outside of Wrigley Field for the first time and then walking through the gates to see the ivy growing along the back wall. What a rush!

Well, Brad and I followed in Uncle Hil and Aunt Cece's footsteps and got to take our niece to her first Major League Baseball game last week. Of course, we got to see the Cubs, but in Cincinnati at Great American Ballpark. We had her all dressed up in her Cubs outfit that we borrowed from Bethany's girls.
She was so cute! She had a blast clapping, cheering and dancing to the noise.
I think I even caught her moment of "AWWW". At least, that's what I'm calling it. She was saying, "Ohhhh!"
Seeing the game through her eyes was amazing. I wish I knew what she was really thinking.

After getting settled and having our hot dogs, it really hit me what a special moment this was, at least to me. I'm sure most people don't understand, but I knew one person that would appreciate the fact that this whole experience was bringing a tear to my eye. So I called Uncle Hil and told him where we were and what we were doing and thanked him for being so special and taking me to that first game so long ago. Thanked him for helping me realize what a special game baseball is and thanked him for giving me the understanding of such a complex game. I hope he understands what great role models he and Cece are for Brad and I and that I am very thankful that I now have a niece to share with, ALL the things that he has taught me.

May 7, 2008
Cubs vs. Reds
Great American Ballpark
Cincinnati, Ohio




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cate already loves ball games (be it basketball or baseball!), so I'm sure you all had fun. I love that picture of her with the field in the background. So cute!

Teaque said...

Aww - so well written. Looks to me like you have a s/b page already there - journaling complete and everything. Now you just need a pic of you and Hil and Cece.

Bethany said...

That is so fun!! Do you want to adopt any of my children as aunt & uncle!! Everyone needs a good fun set!! Mikinsi looks so cute!!
Wait until I post tonight on what Paul & Carson did last night!!!

Anonymous said...

How sweet!