Monday, January 21, 2008

What She's Reading Now...

This is the book that I am now reading. I finally finished the Twilight Series and then took a break to move. So, I'm finally ready to get back to reading again. This is another Jodi Picoult book. Thank goodness she has lots of books, because I can always fall back to her when I don't know what to read. Nineteen Minutes is the story of shooting at a high school.



From the first paragraph:


In nineteen minutes, you can mow the front lawn, color your hair, watch a third of a hockey game. In nineteen minutes, you can bake scones or get a tooth filled by a dentist; you can fold laundry for a family of five....In nineteen minutes, you can stop the world, or you can just jump off it.
In nineteen minutes, you can get revenge.


The author of this book, talked to several people affected by the school shooting in Columbine before she wrote this book and from what I've read so far, she really brings that tragedy to life and makes you feel like you were there.


I've been thinking alot lately about the affects of our actions on other people. Do we say the right things and the wrong things. Could a comment we make push someone else to the limit? I haven't gotten that far into this book, but I just finished this book because my students were all reading it. (They bought it at B&N, they didn't get it out of my library.) I think some of my students are growing up way to fast and probably shouldn't be reading this serious/emotional type of things, but I'm trying to relate to them. Anyway, it has me really thinking and trying to make a conscious effort to make sure I'm uplifting someone, not pushing them farther away.


So, if you need something to read. Pick this one up and lets talk about it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Intriguing first paragraph ...